📚 Click here to shop all reading mini units!
What is included?
In this unit, we use 4 different strategies to summarize. You don’t have to use all four strategies. You can teach one strategy that you feel comfortable with and just continue reteaching. This will give students repeated opportunities to practice. My personal favorite is the SWBST strategy. It just helps create that flow. The strategies we use are: BME, SWBST (somebody, wanted, but, so, then), Story Map, and 5 W’s + H.
1. Google Slides/PowerPoint: This is an interactive teaching presentation to use to teach the skills. The Google Slides and PowerPoints help you teach or review the skill. There are three versions included in both PowerPoint & Google Slides. The slide presentation is organized so that you can:
- Model the Skill
- Let's Try It! (Active Engagement)
- Independent Practice (Exit Slip)
Version 1: (Teaching Slides) These slides include transitions so that you can discuss the answers before they appear. The answers are also in the notes section of the slideshow.
Version 2: (Student Slides) These slides can be used if you are teaching virtually or if you want to use this as a review and have students complete on their own.
Version 3: (Answer Key) This slide has all the answers.
2. Exit Slips: There are 6 different exit slips. Most can be printed out 2 per page. The exit slips are also available in Google Forms. The exit slips are multiple choice or short response.
3. Reading Comprehension Passages: There a total of 5 Reading Comprehension Passages & Questions. The questions are all based on summarizing.
4. Graphic Organizers: Summary Checklist, BME, SWBST, 5 Ws + H, Story Map. These can be used with any book or story.
5. Reading Posters: What is a summary? Writing a Summary, Summarize Stories, A Summary Is/Is Not,
6. Reading Activities: 4 shorter stories, One sentence Summary, Sort a Summary, Writing a Summary, What’s wrong with the summary? Sort
7. Recommended Book List: chapter books & picture books