This mini unit includes resources to introduce or review story elements to your 3rd graders. The unit is aligned to the Common Core standards. However, it is rooted in providing a foundation for the elements of story that are so crucial to reading comprehension. Teaching and consistently revisiting the elements of story helps children hold on to the stories as their books get longer and texts get harder.
- 👉This unit is also part of the Reading Mini Units Bundle for 3rd Grade.
- 👉Click here for the 4th and 5th Grade Story Elements Reading Unit.
This unit includes reading comprehension passages, questions, exit slips, and activities. But it also includes recommended chapter and picture books that will support you in teaching story elements. Let's get into the specifics.
What is included?
Topics Covered: 5 Story Elements (characters, setting, plot, conflict, theme), character traits, character feelings, character motivations, character change, summarizing, problem/solution
1. Google Slides/PowerPoint: This is an interactive teaching presentation to use to teach the skills. The Google Slides and PowerPoints help you teach or review the skill. There are three versions included in both PowerPoint & Google Slides. The slide presentation is organized so that you can:
- Model the Skill
- Let's Try It! (Active Engagement)
- Independent Practice (Exit Slip)
Version 1: (Teaching Slides) These slides include transitions so that you can discuss the answers before they appear. The answers are also in the notes section of the slideshow.
Version 2: (Student Slides) These slides can be used if you are teaching virtually or if you want to use this as a review and have students complete on their own.
Version 3: (Answer Key) This slide has all the answers.
2. Exit Slips: Each exit slip can be printed out 2 per page. The Exit Slips are also available in Google Forms. The exit slips are multiple choice or short response.
3. Reading Comprehension Passages: There a total of 5 Reading Comprehension Passages & Questions. The questions are all based on story elements.
4. Graphic Organizers: There are different versions of a story map and a character analysis chart. These can be used with any book or story.
5. Reading Posters: The following reading posters are included: plot, setting, characters, central message, conflict, solution, character traits, character feelings, character motivation
6. Character Motivation Match: This matching activity is perfect for a reading center or can even be used as a notebook activity. Prep: Print on colored paper (optional) and laminate (optional). Cut each puzzle piece into two parts. Store in a Ziploc bag and use as a reading center or as a group activity. There are a total of 12 pieces with different character motivations.
7. Recommended Book List: chapter books & picture books.
Other ELA resources you may L♥VE...
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for Grades 4-6
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for 4th Grade
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for 5th Grade
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for 6th Grade