Main Idea Reading Mini Unit Free SampleRegular price $0.00 Save $0.00
The full mini unit includes resources to introduce or review main idea to your 3rd or 4th and 5th graders. This unit includes a PowerPoint/Google Slides, graphic organizers, reading comprehension passages, questions, exit slips, and activities. It also includes recommended books that will support you in teaching students how to find the main idea. Let's get into the specifics.
✋🛑 The materials in this resource are the same ones included in The Literacy Loft Membership. If you are a monthly or annual member, please do not purchase! If you'd like to learn more about the membership, click here!
- 👉This unit is also part of the Reading Mini Units Bundle for 3rd Grade.
- 👉Click here for the 4th and 5th Grade Story Elements Reading Unit.
🛑 Are you a member of the TLL Membership? These materials are already included. If you are not a member, click here to learn more. The TLL Membership gives you an all-access pass to hundreds of ELA resources for teachers in Grades 3-5.
What is included?
Topics Covered: Main Idea (5 Strategies: First Sentence, Last Sentence, Text Features, Repeated Words, Ask: What is the text mostly about?)
1. Google Slides/PowerPoint: This is an interactive teaching presentation to use to teach the skills. The Google Slides and PowerPoints help you teach or review the skill. There are three versions included in both PowerPoint & Google Slides. The slide presentation is organized so that you can:
Model the Skill
Let's Try It! (Active Engagement)
Independent Practice (Exit Slip)
Version 1: (Teaching Slides) These slides include transitions so that you can discuss the answers before they appear. The answers are also in the notes section of the slideshow.
Version 2: (Student Slides) These slides can be used if you are teaching virtually or if you want to use this as a review and have students complete on their own.
Version 3: (Answer Key) This slide has all the answers.
2. Exit Slips: Each exit slip can be printed out 2 per page. The Exit Slips are also available in Google Forms. The exit slips are multiple choice or short response.
3. Reading Comprehension Passages: There a total of 5 Reading Comprehension Passages & Questions. The questions are all based on main idea.
4. Graphic Organizers: These graphic organizers for main idea and supporting details can be used with any text.
5. Reading Posters: A reading poster for finding the main idea.
6. Main Idea Practice: Printable practice pages for students to practice finding the main idea in a short amount of text.
7. Main Idea Match: This matching activity is perfect for a reading center or can even be used as a notebook activity. Prep: Print on colored paper (optional) and laminate (optional). Cut each puzzle piece into two parts. Store in a Ziploc bag and use as a reading center or as a group activity. There are a total of 12 pieces with different main ideas. Each page is about the same topic, but each paragraph has a different main idea.
8. Recommended Book List: a list of books you can use to teach main idea
Other ELA resources you may L♥VE...
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for Grades 3-5
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for Grades 4-6
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for 4th Grade
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for 5th Grade
ELA Task Cards Bottomless Bundle for 6th Grade