Summarizing Informational Texts
RI.4.2 Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
RI.5.2 Determine two or more main ideas of a text and explain how they are supported by key details; summarize the text.
This resource gives your students an opportunity to practice summarizing a text in a multiple-choice format. Students are given a paragraph about a nonfiction topic (historical events/people/places, science topics, animals, animal behaviors and other high-engaging topics)
Question Types Include:
- Select sentences that should be included in a summary.
- What is the central idea of the text?
- What is the text mostly about?
- Which statement is most important to include in a summary?
- Which best explains what the text is about?
- Which of the following best summarizes the text?
- Which statement talks about the main idea of the passage?
- Which of the following best summarizes the main point of the passage?
What is included?
- 28 half-page task cards
- Answer Sheet
- Answer Key
- Google Slides and Google Forms (self-grading 🙌)
How can I use this resource?
The possibilities are endless for task cards. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- reading center/station
- early finishers
- small group
- daily warm-up for reading workshop
- sub plans