The monthly text sets are two or more texts based on the same topic. Each monthly text set can be used for both reading and writing. The topic of each text set is high-engaging nonfiction topics. Each text set supports opinion or informational based writing in response to reading.
These pair perfectly with the following Writing Units:
What is included in each text set?
- 2 (or more) related informational articles
- Reading Comprehension Questions
- Writing Prompt to be used with the texts in an essay format
- Writing Plan Example
- Teacher Example Essay (editable)
- Teacher Example Essay in Google Doc
- Differentiated for Grades 3-5
- Standard Alignment in Google Sheets
What topics are included for each month?
The topics included are thematically related to that month. However, the text sets can be used at any time of the year based on your needs.
January - MLK (Opinion Text Set)
June - Sharks Text Set (Try for FREE here!)
September - Homework: Harmful or Helpful? (Opinion Text Set)
October- Bats (Informational Text Set)
December - Polar Bear Problems (Informational Text Set)
Try the free text set here:
🛑 Are you a member of the TLL Membership? These materials are already included. If you are not a member, click here to learn more. The TLL Membership gives you an all-access pass to hundreds of ELA resources for teachers in Grades 3-5.